Recommendation for BP Cloud Storage/Streaming

jdr7181

0   0   0
Credits
I am working on a site that allows people to upload and view videos of episodes of their favorite cancelled soap operas. Only episodes of soaps not currently being aired will be allowed. You can go to and see some of the episodes from my favorite soap that I have uploaded. I am using a script called YouPHPTube, but am considering using ViewShark instead because of its more advanced functionality. Many of these videos are uploaded to YouTube and similar video sharing sites, but inevitably are struck because of copyrights issues.

What makes this a bit different than other movie/TV video sharing sites is that even short-running soaps generate hundreds, if not thousands, of episodes. For example, Sunset Beach aired for only 3 years, but has over 700 episodes, each approximately 40 minutes without commercials. That is 28,000 minutes of video. At 500 MB per episode (average SD), that is almost half a terabyte by itself. The show I uploaded a few episodes of, Santa Barbara, aired from 1984-1993 and has over 2,000 episodes. By itself, it is likely well over a terabyte. That is just two shows.

In other words, I have intense storage/streaming needs, but also want something that is not particularly response to copyright issues. Keep in mind, none of the episodes I will have on my site are currently aired anywhere, but there are thousands of fans. If I can find a reasonably priced storage/streaming cloud service, I can pass the cost onto the users, say $4.99 a month or something. Wasabi and Backblaze both have a terabyte of space for $5 per month, but many of my subscribers will upload a fraction of a show, if that. Most are viewers and I think there are many fans of US soaps (and defunct soap operas from other countries, if there is enough demand).

Any recommendations? Ideally S3-compliant, but at least with own public API. Thanks.

jdr

Shu

BOSS OG

2   0   0
Credits
I have to say; I love the idea even though it'll require heavy monitoring making sure that users only upload soap.
As long as you have the DMCA comfortable host for the main site, you can mask the storage IP behind a reverse proxy from the same DMCA comfortable service provider. Then you can use any cloud storage you want.

OP

jdr7181

0   0   0
Credits
I have to say; I love the idea even though it'll require heavy monitoring making sure that users only upload soap.
As long as you have the DMCA comfortable host for the main site, you can mask the storage IP behind a reverse proxy from the same DMCA comfortable service provider. Then you can use any cloud storage you want.

Any recommendations for a "DMCA comfortable host?" And a bigger question for me is how do I set up a reverse proxy? Are there people I can pay to help me set that up or do I just need to jump on the learning curve myself and figure it out? Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful.

jd

Shu

BOSS OG

2   0   0
Credits
Here's a thread here posted by @hooligan which has a big list of hosts on the second post.

as for reverse proxy, you can learn yourself or pay someone to do it for the first time or teach you.

OP

jdr7181

0   0   0
Credits
as for reverse proxy, you can learn yourself or pay someone to do it for the first time or teach you.
Would that be something you would be interested in, teaching me or setting it up for me? You seem to like my idea.

jdr

Igutin

0   0   0
Credits
setting up a reverse proxy for storage is not that hard, just google nginx reverse proxy and follow those steps.

Reactions: Shu
OP

jdr7181

0   0   0
Credits
Let's not conflate that which you think is easy with what is universally simple. I looked up the steps before I asked and it doesn't look all that easy to me. But thanks for the advice. I am sure I can pay someone to help me if I cant figure it out myself.

jdr

OP

jdr7181

0   0   0
Credits
Sorry, that sounds more defensive than I intended. I also noticed that I asked for help without mentioning I would pay for the help.

Regardless, I appreciate the input.

jdr

OP

jdr7181

0   0   0
Credits
The script I will be using can work with S3-compatible storage. Users can upload videos that are stored separately in S3-compatible storage, and visitors can watch the videos streamed from that storage.

Can a reverse proxy still work? The script only works with S3-compatible storage, but I need to mask the storage IP behind a reverse proxy, as you suggest above. How can I have the script store videos in one place, but hide that storage behind a proxy server?

jdr